SBU Logo CAS Logo

Dept. Logo

Who to contact if help is needed?

Graduate and undergraduate students, postdocs, and sometimes even faculty and staff may need help to handle particularly complicated or difficult situations that relate to our professional life. These include observing/reporting serious violations of policies, suspected or obvious sexual harassment, discrimination or similar offenses. Here is a list of links that may help.
  • If possible contact first the Undergraduate Program Director, the Graduate Program Director or the Department Chair.
  • Sometimes it is easier to talk first to the Assistant Undergraduate Program Director (Diane Diaferia) or the Assistant Graduate Director, (Donald Sheehan).
  • If there is a problem with the building or infrastructure, talk to the Director of Laboratories (Frank Chin) or to the Building Manager (Rich Berscak)
  • The Quality of Life Committee can be reached by contacting the Chair, Professor Tom Weinacht.
  • The Status of Diversity Committee can be reached by contacting the Chair, Marivi Fernandez Serra.
  • The Stony Brook University Ombudsman Office provides an alternative channel for confidential, impartial, independent and informal dispute resolution services for the entire University community. It is a safe place to voice your concerns and explore options for productive conflict management and resolution .
  • The Graduate Student Advocate is similar to the Ombuds person. The Advocate can help to resolve problems you may encounter during your graduate study. In many situations, you may simply need more information or help finding and contacting the appropriate people within the University. Since navigating such a large University can at times be overwhelming, this office was created to address the needs of graduate students specifically.
  • The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs can help with benefits, housing, child care and much more. It is also a place to go to seek advice about problems specific to postdocs that the advisor cannot solve.
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers free and confidential services to enrolled students. Services include crisis intervention, brief counseling for individuals, couples, and groups; consultation to students, faculty, staff, friends, and parents; medication management; and assistance with referrals to community resources.
  • Univesity Police For emergencies, contact University Police at 333 from campus phones or (631) 632-3333 from non-campus phones.
Facebook   Linkedin   Address:
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3800
Phone: (631) 632 8100
Fax: (631) 632 8176
WEB page maintained by
Nathan Leoce-Schappin
Unless otherwise noted, all content © Department of Physics and Astronomy, Stony Brook University.